Q: What’s the healthiest breakfast for a driver?
A: Well, that’s going to depend on the driver’s schedule and location, as well as what food is available in restaurants, truck stops, or on the road! This is the reason we don’t provide set meal plans, but rather meal and snack suggestions, to cover a variety of options that may be available and to provide a wide array of inspiration. To give a little flexibility, I’m going to give a few answers, so that drivers can choose based on what’s available in their truck, kitchen, restaurant, or truck stop.
It’s a good idea to start your day with a mix of carbs, protein, and fat, but feel free to create any combination of the following choices that you wish.
Healthy breakfast options:
- Oats: available at most restaurants, fast food, and easy to make in the truck with just hot water. Sweeten with honey or maple syrup, or even fruit.
- Eggs: hard boiled are often ready-made in truck stops, or you can prep them on the road and take them in the truck. Or, cook them or order them any way you like when you have the option.
- Fruit: fresh or frozen, enjoy what’s available to you and what’s in season or on sale!
- Greek yogurt: plain is best, and can be sweetened with honey, maple syrup, or fruit.
- Oat bites: combine dry oats, almond butter, maple syrup, and dark chocolate chips, then roll into balls for a quick and easy snack on the go. Add anything else you like, including coconut flakes, nuts, or dried fruit.
- Avocado: a great way to get some healthy fats alongside your oats, eggs, fruit, or anything else.
- Smoothie: we recommend banana, frozen berries, spinach, and collagen powder, and they can be made in the truck using a single-serve portable blender.
- Bonus: breakfast food doesn’t have to be traditional choices like the ones listed above! You can take a more savoury route, and have food that you’d normally have for lunch or dinner in the morning. Whether it’s leftovers, sauteed veggies & chicken sausage, or a wrap – just do your best to keep it as unprocessed as possible and enjoy!